6/28/08 Tough Times

On the whole my training has been going really well since the start of 2008. This last week hasn’t quite been ideal though.


Last Saturday morning I planned to wake up at 3:30 in the morning planning to run 50 miles on some trails that are 15 minutes from my parent’s house in New Jersey. I was up for the weekend for Jen’s first bridal shower.


I made some careful preparation and hit the trail while it was still dark. It was a beautiful morning with great weather. My legs felt good, and I really love running these very scenic trails. Unfortunately my stomach just didn’t cooperate.


I don’t know if it was eating Quiznos at a rest stop on the drive up the night before or something else, but I was not doing so well. I made it through 30 miles and then called it quits.


I really wanted to get a run of around 50 miles in before the big race in Vermont. However, this weekend is my bachelor’s party (woohooo!) and then I’m only two weeks away from the race.


On Thursday night, I decided to give running 50 another shot. I took off from work around 5 and started running. It was extremely hot and we were supposed to get thunderstorms, so I decided to run on the treadmill at least until it cooled off.


Yet again it was not meant to be. My stomach was bothering me again, and I had started getting sick the night before. I think it’s just a relatively minor cold, but it started slowing me down after 25 miles. Between that and my stomach acting up, I had to call it quits after 30 miles again.


My stomach is a big concern for me up in Vermont. I just seem to have a really hard time stomaching enough calories to keep me moving. I’m going to take another shot at a really long run next weekend even though it’s only two weeks out from Vermont. I think I’m in good enough shape to recover in time.


It seems like me finishing Vermont will definitely come down to my stomach. A few years ago I would not have guessed that would be the hardest part. I guess I’ll just hope for the best.

Comments