8/13/08: Feels like the first time

The title for this post is great song by Foreigner. Which song by Foreign isn’t great? Oh yeah, “I want to know what love is.”


Anyway, I had fantastic run yesterday morning. It’s the kind of run that makes me remember why I love running and why I started running the first place. The weather was beautiful. August has been unseasonably nice in DC, with daily high temperatures in the 80s and almost no humidity.


I woke up early to a crisp, cool day. It was in the low 60s without a cloud in the sky. I headed out for a nine mile run on one of my favorite trails that runs along the west bank of the Potomac. The Potomac Heritage Trail is surprisingly rugged and remote feeling considering that it runs right in the center of the DC area.


It was simply a fantastic run. My legs felt great, and I was moving at a good pace. There was a low lying mist over the river, early morning sun shining low through the trees, and beautiful waterfalls along the side of the trail. It doesn’t get much better.


On a less exciting note, I didn’t manage to sign up for the North Face 50 or JFK 50 before they filled up. I’m especially bummed about JFK 50 since I was really looking forward to going back this year and trying to beat my time from last year of 7:51.


I’ve been looking around for races in the area, but I can’t find any ultras in the area that aren’t already full. There are just too many people doing this crazy sport! With the wedding and honeymoon this fall, I really don’t know if I’ll want to spend the money to travel somewhere (like the Stone Cat 50 mile), so I may not have a big race again until 2009.


I do have big plans for 2009 though (maybe a topic for another post), so the main thing is that I continue training hard without a race to motivate me. I seem to usually be pretty good in the motivation department, so hopefully that won’t be a problem for me.

Comments

Danny said…
I think the song you meant to cite is "Like a Virgin."