11/15/2009: Ready for JFK 50

A few weeks ago I would have told you JFK would probably be a disaster, but I've whipped myself into pretty good shape very quickly.

Before Marine Corp Marathon, I think trying to train for both MCM and JFK ended up with me not really training effectively for anything at all. But the disappointment at Marine Corp got me pretty focused.

Yesterday I ran a fantastic last long run. I headed out for 22 miles on local trails, some of which are very technical and hilly. I can't remember ever running this loop in less than 3:15 and was hoping just to match that.

I prepared for the run by drinking heavily the night before with Princeton friends. It was Rita's birthday and ended up being a really fun night. We haven't hung out with that crew in too long, so it was great to see everyone.

I finally dragged myself out to run around 2pm the next day. I didn't bring a watch but did check the time on the way out. I was planning to push pretty hard and see what happened.

I felt solid throughout the run and brough it home hard with a big kick at the end. I checked the clock when I got home and saw 2:55. Damn! 20 minutes faster than I've ever gone on that loop. Sub 8s on pretty technical trails.

In short, I'm ready for JFK. The last 3 weekends have been:
  • 16 miles on trail followed by tough 50K race
  • 11 miles followed by 37 miles in the Massanuttens with ~ 7K climbing
  • 22 trail miles in sub 8s

So here we go! Wish me luck at JFK. Hopefully my stomach will hold up. If it does, I'm ready to push really hard and try to post a fast time.

Comments