11/1/10: Tapering like it's my job

I’m five days out from MMTR and definitely ready to go!

Tapering is always weird. I can run 90+ mile weeks and feel awesome. Then I stop running, and I feel like I’m about to fall apart. It’s very strange, but I’ve gotten used to it. I don’t know if it’s the residual fatigue from training or just all in my head, but whatever causes it, I’ve learned not to stress out.

After the 22 mile run I did two weeks before the race, my right leg was feeling all sorts of messed up. My calf was blown, my knee was all locked up, and my hamstring was incredibly tight. I just took it really easy with the running and made sure to sleep a lot. Now I’m feeling really good and am ready to rock and roll at MMTR.

Mom and Dad were here last weekend, and it was great to see them. Dad and I went on a 12 mile run on Saturday and an 8 mile run on Sunday. It was awesome running with Dad as usual, though I still wasn’t feeling 100%.

Then on Sunday afternoon I went to the gym with the intention of lifting weights and maybe some stairmaster. My legs felt pretty good on the way over, so I decided to hit the treadmill. I ran 1.5 miles at 6:00 miles and then 2 10:00 miles at a 10% grade. The 6 minute miles felt pretty good, and the 10% grade felt REALLY easy. Better still, my legs feel great today.

I feel very ready for Saturday and just can’t wait for the gun to go off!

Comments