5/19/11: Training Hard for the North Face 50

The North Face 50 is coming up in two weeks from Saturday. I hadn’t initially planned on doing this race, but I sure am gunning for it now and have been training hard.


I figured I needed to do something after DNFing the NJ 100, and the North Face 50 seemed like a good candidate. My 61 hilly, technical miles at the CAT 100 a few weeks ago were definitely a good confidence booster. The following weekend, I did a hard 25 mile hilly run in about 7:40s.


Last weekend I ran 23 miles out in the Massanuttens with about 4-5K feet of vertical climbing. On Sunday I followed it up with a 28 mile trail run in about 8:20s. I’ve been hitting the speed work, too. Last recently did a track workout with 3 x 1 mile in 5:55, 5:45, and 5:40. Not bad considering I haven’t hit the track in over 6 months!


I’ll have 4 weeks in a row of 85 to 100 miles before the real tapering starts. So far I’m feeling great and starting to get excited for the race. I REALLY hope that this one goes smoothly. I don’t care as much how fast I go and just want to run strong and finish the thing.


On Saturday I’m going to do a hard 35 mile trail run, which will mostly be on the Potomac Heritage trail. After that, they hay is in the barn!

Comments