4/28/12: Training Update

This was a really good week of training and was one of the best I have had in quite some time. I covered over 95 miles with a solid long run in the mountains and a pretty decent tempo run.

Given that my training has been spottier than usual recently, this last week has gotten me thinking (always a dangerous thing). I have always been a fan of consistently hitting big training volume and felt I would lose the speed / endurance otherwise.

However, I seem to now be able to jump into high mileage weeks, handle runs with vertical, keep up the endurance, and maintain at least some speed without hitting it hard all the time. I am not sure what that means or whether I should do anything differently, but it certainly is a good thing! It also gives me something to think about in relation to overtraining, peaking too early before a race, staying injury free, etc.

Well that is probably enough philosophizing for now. Here are this week’s digits:
  • Saturday: 21 miles on DC trails at a moderate effort to test out the back (3 hours)
  • Sunday: 30 miles in the Shenandoahs with 7K+ climbing (6 hours)
  • Monday: 6.5 miles easy
  • Tuesday: 10 miles easy
  • Wednesday: 8 miles easy
  • Thursday: 12.5 miles with 4 mile tempo run. Started at 6:30 miles and kept speeding up. Last mile was in the low 5:40s and average pace was a little under 6:10.
  • Friday: 8 miles easy
  • Total: 96 miles
I also heard that D-Fitz crushed 30+ mile trail run over in Wisconsin. Rumor has it that the run was so easy he was about to go out and do it again before he realized he had to get to class. I may need to kick Dylan in the shin before the Ice Age 50 so I can actually keep up!

Comments