4/28/2012: San Francisco!

I had a work conference out in San Francisco this week, and I extended it to stay with Danny and Rachel, who are two of my favorite people in the world!

This morning I woke up early and had a very confused cab driver take me out to the Golden Gate Bridge.  From there I did a run that was probably somewhere around 38 miles from the Golden Gate to the top of Mt. Tam and back.

I had planned to only do 30 miles and have Danny pick me up in somewhere in the Marin Headlands, but the Golden Gate bridge entrance was under construction, so that would have been very difficult for him.  Luckily I felt great and was able to make it happen and meet him on the other side of the bridge.

It was an amazingly beautiful day for a long run in the Headlands.  It was in the 50s when I started and warmed up to the 70s, and there was not a single cloud in the sky.  Some other highlights were that I saw some pretty cool wildlife, which included:
  • A huge jackrabbit
  • Goldfinches
  • Hummingbirds
  • A giant slug that was about the length of my shoe
  • Snakes
  • Lizards
  • A mountain cat (which was a bit scary)
Today was one of those days where I could have run forever, and I had a massive negative split on the way back.  The return trip was over 30 minutes faster, which is a good thing as Brome may have given up otherwise and left me hanging.

Here are some pictures from the iPhone:

At the top of the climb from the Golden Gate bridge looking out at the Headlands in the morning

Looking out east towards Sausalito

One of my finer self pictures.  The mountain in the top left is where I am eventually heading.  It tops out at about 2,500.

Looking back towards the city across the Headlands.

Another picture towards northern Marin with Mt. Tam in the top left.

This was after I crossed Tennessee Valley.  I need to climb the closer ridge, descend down to Muir Woods, and then climb the mountain in the top right.


This was the top of the first ridge from two pictures ago before I descend down through some rainforest to Muir Woods.

Welcome to the Jungle!  This was a pretty awesome section of trail and where I found the mountain cat (maybe a bobcat?  maybe a mountain lion?)
After getting to Muir Woods I climbed up the famous Dipsea trail for quite a while.

After climbing the Dipsea, I traversed over to Pantoll and then climbed up the Old Mine Trail.  There were some fantastic views up there!

Unusually green up top after some spring rains.
I didn't take many pictures on the way back, so I am almost at the finish here and can see the Golden Gate bridge and San Francisco in the distance.


There were tons of wildflowers out on the trail.
Last view out over the Headlands before I ran down to the Golden Gate bridge and wrapped this awesome run up.

Comments