12/10/14: Who Needs Western States?

Apparently it is more likely to get struck by lightning than win the Western States lottery.  My name was not one of the lucky few, and my odds ended up being less than 5% despite the change making it much tougher to qualify.  Oh well, who needs Western States anyway?

I am cooking up some even better plans for next year, and all I can promise for now is another crazy race in the Alps.  While the Sardona Ultra nearly ended me, I am still hungry for more!  I am also hoping to run a race somewhere with Dylan.  He’s got his own crazy plans at this point, so we’ll just have to see what happens.

In the meantime I am trying to keep the base mileage up and start injecting more quality runs.  I’ve been getting back at my 15% treadmill incline runs and am going to make an effort at dragging my slow self to the track. 

Working around the family schedule has also been resulting in some good “character-building runs.”  Last Saturday I skipped lunch so I could overlap with nap time and ran almost 3 hours on tired legs in pouring 40 something degree rain.  Given the tough realities of racing in Switzerland, this is probably the best training I could possibly be doing for a tough European mountain race.


By the way, I highly recommend Trader Joe’s Reserve Ale to warm you up after some cold winter training!

Comments