3/28/15: Prep for the Bull Run 50

Because of the vagaries of my work computer I seem unable to upload photos from my computer at the moment, so you will all have to use your imaginations for a little while!

I made it off the wait list for the Bull Run 50, which I was super excited about.  After missing the GW Birthday Marathon and Seneca Greenway 50K due to weather cancellations / delays, I am fired up to race.  It has been too long.  I have also wanted to run Bull Run since I first got into ultrarunning back in 2007, but for some reason I have had something come up every year.

Luckily I started to ramp up the training assuming I would get into the race.  I had a solid 3 week training cycle of 75, 80, and 80 miles.  Last week we had a family vacation to Utah, which was awesome.  In addition to being a great and relaxing vacation, I also got in some skiing (excellent cross training). a few good trail runs, a hike with Liam, and repeats up Park City Hill.  The day after we landed I went to Prince William Forest for a 30 mile run in 40 degree rainy weather.  It was an interesting choice with tired legs and the day after a very long cross country flight with a 1.5 year old, but it went well.

Today I knocked off another 20 miles, 5 of which were with Liam at the end of the run.  I think that makes it the first 50 mile back to back training runs since before Liam, and I very rarely get over 40 miles in 2 days at this point.  The legs weren't fresh and it wasn't exactly easy, but it went very well.  I feel like I am continuing to get smarter and tougher if not younger and fitter!

I am excited for Bull Run and adventures beyond.  Right now plans include:

  • Mammoth to Yosemite 58 mile hike the weekend of June 13th with the boys
  • Contemplating the Mason Dixon 100K the weekend of June 20th
  • One or more runs in the Shenandoahs with VHTRC on July 4th weekend
After Bull Run the game will be all climbing all the time to get ready for the Trail Verbier in July.  In the meantime, I am just very excited for spring and getting out on trails more often.

Comments