3/4/15: Winter Wonderland in Great Falls

The last few months have certainly kept me busy.  I have been in Australia, London, and countless cities across the US.  Washington DC has been battered with brutal weather (at least for us) and way more snow and cold than we are used to.  Unfortunately I got sick a few times as well.  The end result was January was a halfway decent training month but February left a lot to be desired.

But taking a bit of down time in February is far from the worst thing in the world and is typical for recent years.  I am hopefully back in action now and fired up to start some serious training.  I kicked it off last weekend with a 3.5 hour run in Great Falls through some incredible winter landscape.  It was just what the doctor ordered.

The gods are also conspiring against me with my winter / spring races.  George Washington Birthday Marathon and the Seneca Greenway 50K that was supposed to be this Saturday were both either postponed or cancelled such that I couldn't do them.  I wasn't successful in the Bull Run Run 50 lottery but am really hoping I get off the waitlist, which looks decent right now.  Someday I will actually win a race lottery and will die of surprise.

I need to figure out some way to get my butt in shape for the Trail Verbier 68 mile in July.  It is a monster of a race with 27,000 feet of climbing and super insane, steep, long climbs (some are over 6K straight).  Basically it will be similar terrain to the Sardona Ultra that broke me last fall but it is twice as long!

I'm also hoping to run Grindstone again later this year, but we'll see how training goes and if it works with work / family.

Now for the Great Falls pictures!










There was some mighty sweet single track, snowy trail

Comments