8/15/15: Grindstone 100 Training!

I took a bit of time to recover after Trail Verbier (well not counting the run I did with 5,000 feet of vertical later that week because I couldn't help myself).  Fortunately I recovered well and jumped back into training quickly.  After going so deep into the well at Trail Verbier I couldn't contemplate the thought of Grindstone when I finished the race, but after a whole 24 hours I was back in the game and fired up!  Oh how quickly the mind forgets ...

I've been focused on ramping up the mileage while getting in good quality as well.  I've been trying to mix in some speedwork (not so speedy these days) and some solid climbing.

Here is what last week looked like:
  • Saturday:  16 miles.  1,600 feet of climbing.  Mostly trail.
  • Sunday:  20 miles.  2,300 feet of climbing.  Mostly trail.
  • Monday: 8 miles easy
  • Tuesday: 10.5 miles.  2.25 on the treadmill with 1,500 climbing.
  • Wednesday:  11 miles.
  • Thursday:  9.5 miles.
  • Friday: 9 miles. 2 on the treadmill at 10%, 6mph.
  • Total: 84 miles.  9,000 climbing.
Lots of those miles were also with Liam in the jogging stroller.   This gives Jen a great break but also gives me an extra challenge!  Now that he weighs close to 30 pounds, the long uphills are starting to get serious.

Next weekend I head out to the Grindstone course to volunteer on the trail on Friday and run 30 miles of the course on Saturday.  It should be a ton of fun and really good training.  Then I plan to run The Ring on Labor Day Weekend (tough 71 mile course circumnavigating the Massanuttens).  These two runs will be the backbone of training and the rest will fill in around them.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go run 3,000 feet of vertical on a treadmill.


Comments