10/4/15: Grindstone 100 Here I Come!

Whew, the last couple days have been a rollercoaster.  The forest service cancelled the Grindstone 100 with the impending hurricane (which never hit us, by the way).  But miraculously the race director worked some serious magic and got the race rescheduled for next weekend.  Woohoo!

I was super tapered for the race and couldn't taper for another full week, so I had to quickly untaper myself (pretty sure that isn't actually a thing, but whatever).  Thursday night I did 5 miles at 6:40 pace, Friday morning I did 10 miles with 2,500 feet of climbing over 3.5 miles, and today I did a pretty quick 16.  I have successfully untapered and now am back to full taper.  My body is probably very confused, but hopefully it all works out.

I'm feeling good about the race.  My training volume this year was pretty similar to last year.  I averaged 67 miles and 10,000 feet of climbing per week.  I had some weeks over 90 miles and some solid long runs in the mountains.  I think the quality of my training was a bit higher this year with more speed work and a focus on quick downhill running.  Nonetheless it will be tough to overcome last year's advantage of the sabbatical leading into the race.  Sadly Dylan also won't be able to pace me, which would have been tons of fun.

Overall I'm feeling good about next week and working hard to get my head back in the right place. Hopefully it will be a fun day in the mountains, and I'm excited to get back on the course.

Wish me luck!

Comments