3/8/19: UTMB Training & Dreaming


UTMB is a bit less than 6 months away.  I have a tough 100 miler in 4 weeks (Hellbender 100) and many other races on the calendar between now and then, but it’s all build up to UTMB and eyes on the prize. 

I ran UTMB for the first time in 2017.  It was my dream for 10 years since I got into this sport.  I had the highest of hopes going into the race and had built it up in my mind.  I thought I could finish in 33-36 hours but mostly I wanted just wanted to finish the damn thing and make my way around Mont Blanc.

I had a really good race and finished in 30:17.  It was as epic as I had hoped, and UTMB lodged itself in my heart and mind.  I had a good year of running in 2018.  I came in third at the tough Hellbender 100.  Gran Trail Courmayeur 105km was a solid race, and I had a great time.  I was fit throughout the year and kept up the training.

Then when UTMB rolled around, I was surprised by how much I missed being there.  I’ve thoroughly enjoyed other 100s but haven’t felt the same need to return.  But UTMB is … well … UTMB.  I’m thrilled to be back in 2019, and I was surprised by how much it lit a fire in my training.

Most of all I want to go back to the race and experience it from start to finish.  I love the crazy start with Conquest of Paradise blaring.  I love the course and getting to circumnavigate Mont Blanc through three countries, surrounded my glaciers.  I love the spectators – both the towns coming alive with people packed in the streets and the families who hike up the course at night to greet you with bonfires and cowbells.  I will never forget the finish line and running under the arch to kiss Jen with the noise of the crowd roaring at midnight.

So whatever it takes, I’ll get to the finish line, and that is what will be most important.  But I’ve had a growing desire to do better than last time.  I think I can make myself stronger and fitter.  I think I can run a bit smarter and can save some time in aid stations and dial in nutrition more.  I might even be a bit tougher and can dig a bit deeper (though I also remember telling myself at mile 98 last year that it was everything that I had and there was no more to give). 
It is difficult to put a time goal out in public for a race as tough as this where so much can go wrong.  But I’m hopeful that I can create some magic and run 28-29 hours, cracking the top 100.  So with that, here’s what I have been up to this year trying to turn this thing up to 11:
  • More volume – over the first 10 weeks of the year, my mileage is 21% higher than it was in 2017.  While this doesn’t sound massive, I did a solid buildup in 2017 averaging over 60 miles during this stretch.  That puts 2019 at 73.4 miles per week.  I feel like I’m noticeably stronger from the extra mileage, as evidenced in my strong finish at the George Washington Birthday Marathon (sub 6:40s over the last 10K).
  • More vertical – in 2019 my vertical per week is a whopping 80% more than 2017 (10.7K / week vs. 5.9K / week).  In 2017 I was still newer to vertical-focused training, so I intentionally ramped the vertical more slowly, focusing more on mileage & endurance.  With more training under my belt, I feel comfortable ramping up both mileage and vertical.  Hopefully this springboard will allow me to take it to the next level May to July and set me up for a stronger last 30 miles of UTMB.
  • Focused mountain training – in the past I simply tried to survive my runs in the mountains.  I didn’t care much about pace and focused more on getting to the end in one piece – which I didn’t always succeed at.  Most of my runs were 25+ miles and were few and far between.   Now I’m focusing more on pace and efficiency.  I’ll do hard intervals or use a long climb as a tempo effort.  I’m doing more frequent mountain runs with some in the 15-20 mile range.  These allow for more focus on speed / economy and are easier to recover from. They’re also lots of fun and fit better in my hectic schedule.  The benefits have been huge so far.  I’m smashing PRs on all my routes & segments, and I can feel myself getting fitter and stronger in the mountains.
  • Strength & core – 105 miles with 33,000 vertical also requires a lot of strength.  Core strength is essential for mountain trail running, and better overall fitness also helps prevent injuries.  I’ve upped the strength / core routine significantly with lots of lunges, dumbbell pushups, planks, pullups, ab roller, etc.  While it is harder to see the direct benefits, I do feel stronger and fitter.  And the fact that I’m healthy and not injured is a good sign this is having an impact.
As always, a huge shoutout to Jen for putting up with all this madness.  I'm also super excited that Jen will be coming to Chamonix this year to crew and join in the experience and celebration.

Right now I’m taking a few days off running and living the life skiing some powder in Utah.  Then it is back to crazy training!


Comments